Thursday, January 19, 2012

How should I clean and disinfect baby books that are used or from the library?

I have some pre-owned baby books that look pretty good, but I don't like my son to touch them or put them in his mouth. I also like to go to the library, but I feel sorry for my 7 month old son when he reaches for the books and I can't give him one because they are not clean. I know the first that he will do is put them in his mouth. How can I clean and disinfect without damaging the books? And please don't say to buy new ones, becasue I simply cannot afford it. Thanks!|||I would suggest an antibacterial spray of some sort. If they are hard pages, use clorox brand. If they are regular pages, I would turn the book upside down and "fan" the pages and spray with Lysol or something like it. If you spray lightly and just spray multiple times the pages should stay new.|||How on earth do you expect your child to build up a resistance to infection if you keep sterilising everything?

Report Abuse


|||I suggest disinfectant spray, spray it from a good distance. You can buy it cheap at the dollar store!|||Worry about keeping your food supply clean and safe, not your son's books. Less OCD = happier child, I promise. Library books are not a leading cause of childhood death and disability...|||Get over the "clean" thing. He will not spend his life in a bubble and he will get sick sometime. He's 7 months, not 7 weeks. You're going to have to accept that germs and dirt are part of life. If not now, when he starts to toddle.





I let my kid have library books and have from about 7 months and I don't clean them. In her life she has had 2 stomach bugs. One at 3 months, presumably caught from at the grocery shop and one she caught at day care. She isn't sickly at all.





Cleanliness may be next to Godliness, but really. You'd think the people reading the library books had plague or something!|||If the books have hard pages like most baby books do, you can use a disinfectant spray. I use the Clorox Sanitizing spray, which is a blue bottle Simply spray the book and pages (not too much!) then let it dry to disinfect. If the pages are not hard (which is unlikely in a baby book), then its much harder to disinfect, but try gently wiping with a disinfecting wipe.





Hope i helped|||I worked at a library for over a year and we would clean books with ammonia. (the outside covers only) As far as the pages in them go. Not too sure. I don't think you could wipe them down? If so, I'd think just a wet cloth or something?? I'm like you though, I hate my kids touching stuff like that too! Never know where they've been. Good luck! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment