Thursday, January 19, 2012

What makes a library inviting? what would you like to see when you walk into a library?

I'm just curious to know what people think...





When you walk into a public library what is the first thing you want to see?





What makes a library inviting?





What makes a library a good library? ie... lighting, signs, friendly staff?|||When I walk in a library I want to see somewhere comfortable and clean and lots of computers for research and catalog|||well-lit, clean floors, neat book cases, spacious entryway, helpful workers, easy-to-use computers and book-search software|||Friendly staff, clean areas, lots of table space, isolated areas with comfy couches, easy catalog system, easy to understand maps of the floor, ergonomic-friendly work stations|||Okay, when I walk into a library I like it to have an open area in the front reception. The placement of the check-out area needs to NOT impede the flow of people. The help desk needs to be centered in the space, allowing easy access for all patrons. I like as much natural light as possible. The children's area needs to be separate from the adult's. The children's area needs to have size appropriate furniture, as well as colorful walls. Murals of favorite book characters would be a bonus. A storytime stage where staff could read to the children would be great. The teen areas need to reflect the tastes of teenagers. Possibly having a listening station where they could listen to a CD while wearing headphones. The adult section could have an area structured after a family room, with chairs and end tables. The library would have computer access for kids as well as adults. I like it when the library holds special reading parties. A good library is one that promotes reading and has a staff that loves books!|||Having visited or worked in over 50 libraries, the most common obstacles I've seen are lots of steps, sometimes so many that they are over my head and I can't see past them. I've also walked into libraries with big lobbies and lots of benches but no people, or a beautiful lobby with a fountain and a bunch of give/take books in a mess on a single cart.





Few designers seem to take into account the practical operation of the library and it's apparent that the library staff had no say in the building's design. As soon as I notice that, I anticipate that the books will be hard to find, the computers stuffed in a dark corner, cardboard storage boxes cluttering staff work areas, and the organizational chart being either top-heavy or bottom-heavy, so it's clear the library is not integral to what happens in the city. More than half of the time, I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment